- Posted by: Enjoy Russian
- Category: Cultural program
Study Russian and go to banya in Russia
You can’t leave Russia without visit to the Russian banya. It is the place where you can not only bath, but also improve your health! At the same time banya is a good Russian tradition of peaceful relax and communication in special warm atmosphere.
What is the Russian banya secret?
Russian banya’s recipe for success is “steam+heat”. Temperature inside is about 70C and humidity is almost 100%. It allows to warm-up human’s body deeply. To make this process more effective different brooms (oak, birch, pine etc.) are used for massage. Usually there are two rooms in Russian banya –dressing room and steam room. The main process usually happens in the last one.
Russian banya in winter
Have you ever seen red people running out of the banya squealing with delight and rolling in the snow or even jumping into an ice-hole? They are not crazy! Probably they are Russians and they really enjoy this experience. Hot steam and icy air will improve your health and especially cardiovascular system. You will feel better and have more energy to implement your projects.
В бане помылся — заново родился.
Washing up in the banya is like being born again.
Be careful! There are health restraints.
In January Ulrich (our student from Germany) came to the “EnjoyRussian” Language School for the second time. His intention was to experience Russian winter and he did it! He visited banya and swam in an ice-hole!
How to visit banya? Step by step
1) Before going to a steam room remove clothes (you can wear a bathing costume), rings, necklace, take off make-up.
2) Take a shower or swill yourself. Don’t wet your hair, put on a special hat or use a towel to hide your hair and not to get a heat stroke.
3) For the first time stay in the steam room no longer than 5-7 minutes and put a broom into a bowl with warm water to make its leaves softer.
4) There is a stove with special stones on it in the steam room. As soon as the stones get hot you should water them. You can do it each time you need more steam and heat.
5) As soon as it is steamy enough you can start take a steam bath and massage up with a broom. Wave broom in the air and pat slightly yourself or your friend with a broom.
6) After each visit of the steam room you can stay in the dressing room and put a towel round yourself. In winter you
7) Food and drinks. It is better to eat 1-1,5 hour before banya start. Take along a thermos with hot/warm tea.
It is better to visit banya regularly – once per week or twice per month.
Would you like to experience the very Russian entertainment? Join our courses in February!