This Russian city is full of paradoxes
The most expensive Olympic Games in history or the most exciting Russian course of 2019?
Welcome to Matryoshka’s Diary! As you can see from the title, this time we go to explore Sochi, the Olympic Capital of Russia. Why? Because this would be our first destination in Colorful Russia project! Elena Killiakova is ready to give some info about the history of the Olympics 2014 and to reveal some interesting facts about one of the most beautiful Russian cities.
8 facts about Sochi you didn’t know
- It’s one of the most popular summer beach resorts in Russia and at the same time, it has one of the best skiing resorts in the country. The City hosted Winter Olympics in 2014. How awesome it would be to sunbathe in the morning and go skiing in the mountains in the evening, as Caucasus mountains are less than an hour drive away!
- In 2014 Sochi hosted XXII Olympic Winter Games and XI Paralympic Winter Games. Winter Olympic Games in Sochi were the only one in history which were held in subtropical climate.
- By January 2014 the construction costs exceeded $50 billion, which made it the most expensive Olympic Games in history.
- Sochi is the second longest city in the world stretching for 145 km along the shores of the Black Sea near the Caucasus Mountains. It’s also the largest resort city in Russia.
- Sochi is one of the very few cities in Russia where you can see real palm trees, eucalyptus, magnolia, and fig trees which seem very strange for average cold Russian climate.
- Sochi is located at the same width as world-famous resorts of Cannes, San-Remo and Nice, and has the same weather conditions, that’s why it’s also called the “Russian Riviera”.
- Sochi has hundreds of natural mineral springs which also makes this city one of the most popular health resorts in the world.
- About two million people visit Sochi each summer during the annual film festival “Kinotavr“.
Russian vocabulary to learn from the post:
- Skiing resort – горнолыжный курорт
- Film Festival – кинофестиваль
- mineral springs – минеральные источники
- Black sea – Черное море
- Olympic Games – Олимпийские игры