Russian drinking traditions
- Posted by: Enjoy Russian
- Category: Interesting Russia
How to drink vodka like a Russian
- Drink vodka from 50-60 ml glasses called РЮМКА (ryumka), but if you are a pro, use Russian-style faceted glass (ГРАНЁНЫЙ СТАКАН).
- Exhale loudly and drink quickly. After that you must take a bite of a pickle or a special Russian sandwich with some pork fat or just sausage. If you don’t have any food you must smell something, for example your shirt sleeve will do fine.
- Russians usually make a toast before drinking, like:
За здоровье! – To health!
За встречу! – To the meeting!
За любовь! – To love! and etc.
The third toast traditionally is the one to love. Some people stand up when they drink to love and hold their shot with the left hand, because it’s closer to the heart.
A few things you shouldn’t do when drinking vodka with Russians
- Do not change hands! It means that the one started pouring vodka for everyone must continue doing it throughout the party.
- Do not put an empty bottle on the table. Russians usually put empty plates and glasses on a table for a passed away person at his/her memorial service, that’s why an empty bottle on the table is a bad omen.
- Try not to say no to people who want to drink with you. Russians easily get offended if you don’t want to drink with them. At least drink a shot or just try to escape quietly;)
And one more little observation
People that are drunk can understand each other no matter what language each of them speaks. If your Russian is not good enough, just party up with Russians and no language barrier will stop you from becoming best friends!