Five interesting facts about Russia
- Posted by: Enjoy Russian
- Category: Interesting Russia
Russia is a popular country among tourists. In 2017 approximately 3,3 million people visited Russia. But some people are suprised to see what they see in Russia, because unfortunately there are so many stereotypes people believe, which are not always true. Here are some facts about Russia:
- Russia is located both in Europe and in Asia. The Asian part occupies 77% of the territory of modern Russia, and just the Asian part by itself is bigger than any other country in the world.
- There are not only Russians in Russia. Russia is a multinational state, which is also reflected in its constitution. More than 190 peoples live on its territory.
- The main religions represented in Russia are Christianity (mainly Orthodoxy, there are also Catholics and Protestants), as well as Islam and Buddhism. Tatarstan region with its beautiful capital of Kazan is an amazing mixture of Christianity and Islam, half of the people there is Muslim and another half – Orthodox.
- Russian language is the same everywhere. Not like some other languages, there are no significantly different dialects (maybe just some slight changes in pronunciation of some words and some regional vocabulary), that’s why it’s a good language to learn: you can speak it in any Russian speaking country and will be understood.
- It’s not always cold in Russia! The average annual temperature in Sochi for example, is +14.2 °C. There is a distinct division of the year into the cold and warm seasons. In most places, including Mosow, Saint Petersburg and Petrozavodsk, there are beautiful warm springs with blossoming trees, hot summers, long rainy autumns and cold snowy winters.