HOW TO: find the way around Petrozavodsk?
- Posted by: Enjoy Russian
- Category: Interesting Petrozavodsk
Places you will be shown during your first days in Russia
Bad sense of direction? Don’t even worry about this! All the students happen to learn Russian in Karelia (North-West of Russia) meet Russian-speaking volunteers who take them to all important places in Petrozavodsk and help to find a way around. The venues are at a walking distance from Enjoy Russian School so not a single problem should ever arise, you just have to remember how to find the school. If you’ve already signed up for the Russian course this post will be of high-interest to you. If not, feel free to join us!
Follow me to…
1. Traditionally stop number one is bank where volunteers show you how to get used to take-a-number queuing system and withdraw money.
2. MAKSI is one of the biggest shopping malls in Petrozavodsk where you can buy absolutely everything from medicine to snowboards. You may go there after classes as well to have dinner or enjoy Russian movie at Mirage Cinema.
3. Theaters. National one and the Musical theater are definitely worth visiting. Ballet, opera and the best modern Russian performances wait for you to enjoy it. Volunteers will also help you with the tickets.
4. After that you will probably go to the nearest bookshop where you can buy some postcards and gifts from Russia. Here you will also find world-famous novels of outstanding Russian authors and useful materials for Russian learning.
5. National library. It is surprising but many students go to the library in Petrozavodsk on daily basis, especially those who choose a 12-week course. Volunteers help you to arrange the documents and become familiar with the system.
6. As for the nightlife, you will be shown the cheapest restaurants and cafes as well as a couple of clubs.
And last but not least — Russian social network VKONTAKTE. You definitely need to create an account in Russian version of Facebook to keep in touch with Russian friends and host family and follow the news about city events.
To sum up, no one is lost in Petrozavodsk and everyone is given a warm welcome!