How much friendly are Russians?
- Posted by: Enjoy Russian
- Category: Interesting Russia
Rules for being Russian
You all know that Russian people do not smile to strangers, only to the friends. But maybe to understand Russians better it’s useful to know some social rules in order not to get into an awkward situation. So have a look at these tips and leave a comment if you know/experienced more:
Tips to pass for Russian
– Smile at strangers (as I said, in Russia it’s not common to smile at someone you don’t know, otherwise people would think that you’re weird/stupid/crazy and dangerous);
– Say ПРИВЕТ and refer as ТЫ to people in the street, in a shop, at restaurants and etc. In Russia being formal with elderly or strangers or anyone apart from your friends and family is very important. You should say ЗДРАВСТВУЙТЕ, refer as ВЫ to an unfamiliar person, otherwise people would think that you are rude.
– Whistle inside the house or a shop/restaurant. It means you are “blowing out the money” of the people in this dwelling. It’s considered to be a bad omen and it’s just one of dozens Russian superstitions we believe at. Another one – never put an empty bottle on a table. Bad luck;)
– Ask very personal questions and teach Russians how they should do something, because that’s how they do in Europe / USA and etc. I think noone likes that:)
– Well, you can, but you really don’t have to DO A SMALL TALK. Russians don’t like to beat around the bush. If you have something to say – say it right away!
– Ask people in the street politely, if you get lost or want to know something. You should also ask for help if you need it. Russians are quite compassionate, especially if a foreigner is in trouble.
– Start a conversation with a person that is involved into the same activity as you or if you got into trouble together;) Russians like to share their negative feelings with others:)))
– Ask people about Russia, its customs and traditions. People love to talk about their motherland everywhere in the world.
Russians might seem unfriendly at first and keep their distance. But as soon as you become their friend, there is no people sweeter!!!
И добавь, пожалуйста, в раздел о том, что можно делать
– Talk about religion and politics. BUT CAREFULLY!:)