Students who’re going to study at “Enjoy Russian” school often ask how much money they need to bring with them to Russia
One important advantage of learning Russian with Enjoy Russian school is that life in Petrozavodsk is way cheaper than in Moscow or St. Petersburg. Today’s post is about one simple fact: here you may study with no fear of getting broke. Let’s calculate together how much money you will need when in Petrozavodsk.
- First thing you should know if you travel to Russia is that the currency of Russia is ruble (Рубль). No shop, public transport or restaurant will accept foreign currency, neither dollar, euro or anything else. Of course, almost everywhere you can pay by credit card, so there is no need to exchange large sums beforehand.
- You can easily purchase some rubles at the airport after landing to pay for the taxi, but online taxi services accept cards as well. If you’re going to Petrozavodsk, most likely you will get there by train, the tickets are also easily booked online, so you may only need some cash to buy a newspaper, a cup of tea etc. in the train.
- When you are in Petrozavodsk, your host family will meet you at the train station and help you with everything you need.
- On your first day at “Enjoy Russian” language school, you will meet our volunteers, who will gladly show you around and help you withdraw the necessary sum of money. Mostly you will need it for public transport and some souvenirs if you buy them on the market.
- All kinds of shopping malls, museums, theatres and other organizations accept cards.
How to make ends meet? Don’t even think about it!
Products. If you stay with a Russian host family, you can choose to take only breakfast or breakfast + dinner. So you will need to pay only for lunch and nightlife and to cook your dinner if you prefer to.
Eating out. After your Russian lessons, you can have lunch in any of the canteens, cafes or restaurants located nearby the school. The average price for a business lunch (soup, salad and main course) is 200 rubles. The cost of the nightlife is very different depending on your taste. For example, a glass of wine costs around 150 rubles, a glass of beer 150-200 rubles.
Transport. The bus ticket is 28 rubles, taxi costs around 150 rubles.
Clothes. There are several large shopping centers in Petrozavodsk: Max, Lotos Plaza and Tetris are the most popular. You can always find sales there.
Toilets. There is no problem with that, in any shopping centers, museums and even on the embankment there are free public toilets.
Souvenirs. Walking down Lenina prospect, the main street in Petrozavodsk, you may find numerous souvenir shops with a wide diversification of souvenirs from Karelia. Here are some pictures and costs from one of the largest souvenir shop – “Легенды севера” (Lenina prospect, 11).
– Karelian tea: from 140 rubles / 50 g.
– Natural Beauty Products: from 150 rubles.
– Souvenirs made of Karelian birch: from 150 rubles.
– Handmade porcelain ware: from 450 rubles.
Entertainments. “Enjoy Russian” school team arranges eventful cultural program for our students, and of course there are still lots of things to do in your free time. Entrance to a museum or exhibition is normally 100-300 rubles. Cost of a ticket to the cinema is from 150 rubles, so it’s a great chance to practice your listening skills in Russian. Escape rooms are around 500 rubles per person. There are many local music bands, and you have lots of opportunities to listen to live music for free. Rock-concerts of well-known Russian bands are from 1000 rubles.