Russian North Hunting Traditions’ Festival
Have you ever tried to set a fire without a single match somewhere in the forests of Russia? We bet you haven’t! As well as never ever had you worn ancient Karelian traditional hunters’ clothes or eaten salmon bonfire soup. But no regrets, especially for those who come to learn the Russian language at Enjoy Russian School in Karelia. In September 2018 the Karelian city of Sortavala (North-West of Russia) holds one of the most epic and historically significant celebrations – Hunting Traditions festival.
Russian hunting comic-con is a must for chefs, sportsmen and photographers
And of course for anyone who likes spectacular and colorful events. Why is it held in Karelia? Because Russian forests in the North-West are famous for extremely rich flora and fauna, breathtaking landscapes and unique spots ancient people had been exploring.
The one-day-long festival starts with the welcoming words about the significance of hunting traditions for Karelians. Guests will be able to amuse themselves on several stages:
- cooking competition where professionals and amateurs cook a hunting soup from the same set of products in accordance with their own recipe.
- hounds exhibition – experts will tell about the different breeds features and the way they are evaluated
- Photo-hunting competition – the participants are given a fragment of a photo of an animal and look for the place of its living
- Shooting exhibition and competition.
- Re-enactors performance – guests of the Festival have a unique opportunity to see the life and culture of medieval Karelia and even take part in the battle.
- kids’ playgrounds, crafts workshops, and fire-shows will also make you fall in love with the atmosphere.
“Hunting for Karelian people was always about unity with nature, a careful attitude to forests gifts. Today we were able to look into the past! The organizers showed us the way ancient hunters looked in the Middle Ages, how they prepared for the hunt, made weapons, sewed special clothes and lit the fire. Amazing atmosphere and a great performance!”
Want to forget about Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for a while? Come to Karelia this autumn! The Russian language group course starts on 3 of September. Sign up here!