Russian babushka. Do you know her?
- Posted by: Enjoy Russian
- Category: Interesting Russia
We were so surprised😳 to know from our foreign students that people all over the world know word BABUSHKA (бабушка)👵 so well, because they mistakenly think that babushka is a traditional Russian wooden doll, which we are sure you all have seen👀 many times. It’s a very common souvenir that people bring home from Russia🇷🇺. But the right name for it is MATRYOSHKA (матрёшка) and definitely not⛔ babushka!
What is BABUSHKA, after all? ⚠Of course it’s granny, grandmother, the mother of person’s father or mother. And it’s a very significant person in people’s lives, so let’s tell a little bit more about these amazing Russian women.
Babushkas represent a totally independent part of society in Russia – they know everything and are good at giving a piece of advice whether you’ve asked for it or not. There are some interesting stereotypes about Russian babushkas that prove true more often than not:
1. Babushkas are perfect at cooking🍗🍪🍰🍳.
2. They take care of their grandchildren 🐥🐥while their parents are at work and they really enjoy it.
3. They have a dacha where they grow vegetables🍅🍆, make kompots and prepare jams 🍒🍓to be eaten on long winter evenings.
4. Their biggest concern is to feed everyone who gets to their house to the bursting point.
5. Babushkas always know everything about their neighbours. They like to seat on a bench outside and watch other people.
Are babushkas in Russia different from ones in your country? 👂Have you ever had an interesting meeting with a Russian babushka you want to share? We can’t wait to hear your story!