I’m Russian, she’s American
Students say tandem language learning is the best experience they’ve ever had!
“Now I can talk for more than half an hour without any pauses!” Isn’t that great? Tandem learning was introduced by Enjoy Russian tutors not that long ago but already proved to be one of the most efficient ways to get fully immersed into a foreign language. Currently we’ve got 8 pairs in which one person learns Russian and other one learns English/Chinese/Spanish. Let us show you how it works!
How does tandem learning work?
- We unite people who learn different languages and speak approximately at the same level.
- Partners meet each other 1, 2 or 3 times a week and spend together as much time as they want.
- Partners should follow 2 main rules: 50% of time they spend together they should speak one language, second half they speak another language. They even put the alarm on if needed.
- And the second rule: they keep a diary (in language they learn) and give it ti the partner for him/her to check.
How does it help in boosting Russian?
1) It is 100% real life practice: guys meet each other at the libraries, shops, caffes, even cook together and talk about absolutely everything!
2) It helps to improve speaking and listening skills.
3) Written language becomes better day by day.
Eleanor (American by origin) came to learn Russian from Luxembourg. Her partner Ivan tries to become better at English. Look what he writes in his diary:
Day one. Was very difficult. I haven’t spoken English in a while. Constantly confused grammar, many words forgotten. At the hearing perceived better. Overall, I loved it. I can feel my English waking up.
Day two. It was easier. Still barely spoke, but there was no fear. Gradually remember the words. Eleanor speaks Russian, very well. There is a slight accent but overall lovely! I also want to speak English!
Day three. I totally relaxed, didn’t try to remember anything. She said the first thing that comes to mind. Talked about education. It’s great that Eleanor is studying in Cambridge and studying several languages!