Shashilk as the tastiest Russian tradition
Once the days become warmer and sunnier all Russians ahead to their dachas or just outside the city to make shashiki. Luckily, Karelia is a land of lakes, forests and just beautiful nature spots and there is no need to go far away from the city to enjoy nature and silence.
Shashlik – this word is well known among all Russians since they were little boys and girls. It’s not a traditional Russian dish at all, and it is not just food. “Go for Shashiliki” it’s a whole ceremony, beginning from the preparation till the eating. And what is the secret point?
Firstly, people in Karelia miss the sunny and warm days and try to use any chance to spend time outdoors.
The second reason is that probably all Russians have a special attitude to the nature and consider spending time outside the city is the best way to relax and reload.
And Russians really like parties and big companies, and shashliki is a perfect reason to gather with your friends and family.
How does it work?
Usually people prepare for this picnic in advance. They choose destination, who will drive the car and who will prepare meat for shashliki. In Russian you can face with an opinion that “shashlik is a not a women’s business”, so as usual men in a company are likely to be in charge of the meat preparation. It’s very important to buy the meat in advance and marinate it with onion, spices sauces or vinegar and leave in a fridge (4 hrs – till one night) in order to soften it.
What do you need for the picnic?
- мангал (an open flames grill)
- шампуры (metal skewers)
- уголь и жидкость для розжига (charcoal and camp fuel)
- одноразовая посуда (disposable tableware)
- food and drinks
Russian shashlik recipe:
- Cut the meat (as usual pork) into 1-2 cm cubes
- Mince the onion and garlic. Combine with the spices (salt/ground pepper/sweet paprika/ oregano etc), vinegar, lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients with the meat by hand and marinate in the fridge for four hours
- After 4-12 hrs skewer the meat cubes on the skewers together with onion
- Grill on direct heat (the skewers should be arranged parallel to each other), rotating the skewers evert 3-5 minutes and sprinkle it with water/salt
- When all meat pieces have a delicious look (not burned!) serve it with vegetables, bread and sauce. Enjoy!
We are waiting fot you in Petrozavodsk to enjoy nature and summer! Join our courses and get ready to taste shashlik!