Skype lessons: easy to find, hard to choose
Learning Russian with a native Russian teacher by skype
sitting at home and sipping coffee – not a problem! Skype makes learning Russian language a ‘location-independent’ education on your own terms.
Only a lazy second language learner hasn’t tried studying on Skype – it’s easy, cheap and comfortable… But did all succeed at it?
What problems you may face while looking for the right Russian tutor:
- The teacher is a native Russian speaker, but has no experience in teaching Russian to foreigners, so he/she can’t give you a good explanation or structured instruction on how and what you should learn.
- The teacher is a bit experienced, but not qualified, he/she doesn’t know/understand what language material should be tought on each level (A0-C1), so you get a chaotic mix of different words and structures that you can’t memorize and use, because they are far ahead of your level and not well organized.
- The teacher is a bit experienced, but he/she can’t find the right textbook for you to organize your studying, so you’re jumping from one topic to another spending time on just speaking and practicing the vocabulary that you already know, but not progressing.
- The teacher found a textbook for you, but because of lack of experience or creativity you just go through the exercises in the textbook one by one, drilling words and structures, but never step aside to actually start using the vocabulary and phrases in real life conversation or by doing creative and problem solving tasks.
- The teacher is OK, but can’t make a study plan for you, and every time at the beginning of a lesson you get the dreaded question, “What do you want to talk about?”.
Unfortunately most of the Russian learners that have faced one of these (or all of them) problems give up learning via Skype, because they don’t get any progress and the lessons bring them more frustration than fun. The major problem with Skype learning is that anyone can teach, and there is such an enormous choice of teachers and tutors that it’s really hard to find a professional one. Of course, usually lessons with an amateur teacher cost less, but this is exactly the case when a miser pays twice. A qualified teacher will help you to improve as fast as possible, and you’ll get a noticeable result quite quickly.
Choose the Russian language lessons with qualified Russian teachers by skype at EnjoyRussian language school.
Learning a foreign language is a hard work, and without good guidance it’s almost impossible to succeed. That’s why I wish you all good teachers! And if you are searching for one just contact us!
Alina Aleshina, education coordinator of “Enjoy Russian” Language School