Best of the best – famous Soviet football players
- Posted by: Enjoy Russian
- Category: Interesting Russia
The year 2018 is going to be something special for Russia. World Cup 2018 is an event extensively discussed on the International arena. On 1 of December FIFA 2018 final draw took place in Moscow and now we know the groups and can suggest what teams are going to run the show. If you’ve already bought your tickets to Russia you might probably want to learn Russian language and be familiar with Russian football history. In this regard Enjoy Russian school tells you about:
5 legendary Soviet football players which names are known to every Russian
1. Lev Yashin. A goalkeeper who considered to be the legend of football history. He won the Olympic football tournament of 1956 and the first European Championship held in 1960. His entire career was devoted to Dinamo (Moscow) and the team won the USSR championship 5 times. He received Golden ball (Ballon d’Or) in 1963 and remains the only goalkeeper ever received this award.
2. Vladimir Bessonov. Ukrainian football player who played for the USSR national team. He won about 80 competitions and later became the coach of Ukrainian team. In 1988 he won Gold medal on the Summer Olympics.
3. Albert Shesternyov. Moscow SCKA player and a member of the Soviet National team. Known as Ivan the Terrible, he became a captain of his team at only 21 years old. In 1970 he became the footballer of the year.
4. Igor Netto. Back in childhood Igor was fond of hockey but his destiny brought him another role. He was famous for “being a gentlemen” when on field after one situation happened in 1962. He was a Soviet team captain and insisted on not counting the goal from Uruguay team (because the goal was kicked through the net hole).
World Cup 2018 is going to take place in 11 Russian cities. Take chance to visit Petrozavodsk where you can not only learn Russian with Enjoy Russian school but also to play football at one of the city venues!