Essentials you need to spend perfect Russian holiday
For those of you who prefer a real trip to Russia instead of taking Russian lessons by Skype (that are also possible to sign up for) we made up a list of things you should definitely pack into your bag before you are on your way to Russia.
- Warm clothing. Be ready to dress warmly and put on 3-4 layers. Do not forget earmuffs or hat and mittens, winter boots (waterproof are more preferable) that would not be slippery and grab maybe a blanket scarf. The temperature might be close to -25C. But anyways check the weather forecast before you go.
- Don’t forget about some dressy outfits especially if you are going to be here during the festive season (ссылка на программу праздничную). You can be invited at Christmas or New Year dinner by your host family or Russian friends, or go to theatre performance one day. So be sure you have something beside your super-cozy winter essentials.
- Your camera. 100% – you will see many cool places during your trip. At least you should take a picture of snowy landscapes and Russians eating icecream outsideJ
- Prepare a list of commonly used phrases – even if you are a total beginner in learning the language make sure you know some words to find your way even before you start you Russian language lessons: Здравствуйте – Zdrastvooyte – Hello, Извините – Eezveeneete – Excuse me, Как добраться до_____ ? (kak dabratsya do) How do I get to _____ ? Спасибо – Spaseeba – Thank you
- Dostoevsky, Tolstoy and Chekhov novels. Or anything you would love to read in Russian. In comparison to Europe where distances are not that small and you can cross several countries in a day in Russia it will take you hours to get to another city. That is why it’s better to have something to read.
What to do in Russia during winter time?
Enjoy Russian language school organizes some exciting winter activities for the students depending on their interests and recklessness!
- Ice fishing
- Snowmobile driving
- Dog sledding
- Skiing, skating and snowboarding, outdoor winter games
- Annual festival of ice and snow (Hyperborea)
- Cooking class “New Year traditional dishes in Russia”
- Moreover: Russian banya any time you want, street festivals, Nothern lights!
Join us in winter! Choose individual or group courses and the dates you want to come to Petrozavodsk and spend magic holiday in Russia! And if you are not ready to wait for the program starts, feel free to sign up for our Skype course!
Painting by Andrey Repnikov