Have reached the lowest point of Mariana Trench? Climbed Everest and took a trip inside in the crater of Icelandic volcano? Unless you’ve been to Russia, It doesn’t really count!After reading this you will probably want to experience Russian winter!
Join “Enjoy Russian” language school and challenge yourself!
Зиму мы перезимовали, осталось перезимовать весну – We’ve overwintered the winter, now we have to overwinter the spring!
- The weather is cruel. Yes, Russian weather always holds the top positions. The Russian village Oimyakon is known as the Cold Pole of the Earthwhere the temperature might hit -71C! And the locals still live their own lives without any problems. As for Karelia, we can’t be proud of that low temperature but still be ready to 25 degrees below. By the way Russians believe that if people fall in love in wintertime that kind of relations is the strongest and is going to last forever. Because usually people put so many layers of clothes that it’s really hard to see a person behind, not to mention falling in love.
- Ice swimming is pretty popular. Despite the cruelty of Russian winter people in Russia tend to swim a lot! And we talk about ice swimming of course, not just the swimming pool. On January 19 Russian Orthodox Christians celebrate religious holiday when they can wash away the sins by bathing into the ice water. According to the statistics approximately 5 000 of Petrozavodsk citizens swim in 20 specially equipped spots all over the city. Even little kids are long to be a part of this Russian Walrus club.
- 90C in Banya. Some people do not wait for a certain date to enjoy ice cold water. They swim on regular bases after each Banya session. The average temperature may exceed 90C. Sometimes they even spend the whole day in Banya massaging themselves with bunches of dried branches and leaves from bearch or oak, drinking green tea and jumping into the snow. Banya is believed to be a good option for getting rid of toxins and gaining energy.
- Ice fishing is not for everyone. What could be more romantic than sitting for 5-6 hours in a row in the freezing cold? Russian fishermen are often called the craziest people in the world. To become a professional in all types of fishing techniques takes time and patience. Some say it’s rather a lifestyle than just a hobby.
- Holiday season is pretty long. Only the strongest can keep celebrating on and on for 9 days:) The New Years’ Eve and then Christmas. And some family gathering in between. From the Russians point of view the festive season is the good option to prepare yourself to the year of hard work and to make a list of New Year resolutions.
And know you should answer a simple question: are you ready for this? If yes, then come to Enjoy Russian language school in February to take our 4-week course and present yourself unique and priceless memories!