7 long but very important words in Russian. Time to learn the days of a week!
Welcome to Russian from scratch
! What is your level of Russian? For this topic, it doesn't really matter. Weekdays are something everyone uses all the time, so make sure you know how to pronounce them and when to use them. If any difficulties occur, feel free to ask a professional Russian tutor
or choose a course. Let's go!
Weekdays in Russian: genders, prepositions, examples
- MONDAY – PA-NEE-'DYEL-NYK – понедельник
- TUESDAY – 'VTHOR – NYK – вторник
- WEDNESDAY – SRYE – 'DAH – среда
- THURSDAY – CHEET – 'VYERK – четверг
- FRIDAY – 'PYAT-NEE-TSAH – пятница
- SATURDAY – SOO-'BOUH-TAH – суббота
- SUNDAY – VAS-KRYE-'SEN'E – воскресень
When we want to say ON Monday, ON Friday etc. we put the preposition V – В (or VOH) and to change the ending, depending on word's gender:
- On Monday – В ПОНЕДЕЛЬНИК (without any endings, it's masculine)
- On Tuesday – ВО ВТОРНИК (masculine again)
- On Wednesday – В СРЕДУ (feminine, that's why we put U at the end)
- On Thursday – В ЧЕТВЕРГ (masculine)
- On Friday – В ПЯТНИЦУ (feminine, + U)
- On Saturday – В СУББОТУ (feminine, + U)
- On Sunday – В ВОСКРЕСЕНЬЕ (masculine)
- We will go to the library on Monday – В понедельник мы пойдем в библиотеку.
- I'll give you a call on Saturday – Я позвоню тебе в субботу.
NOTE: weekdays in Russian start with lowercase initial letters.