Russian Language levels and Testing system
There are six levels of the Russian language proficiency:
- A1 (Элементарный – Elementary) – You start from complete 0 (from the alphabet) and reach a survival level. It usually takes 6 weeks of intensive course (120 hours) to achieve Elementary level if you are a complete beginner.
- A2 (Базовый – Basic) – You extend your vocabulary and learn how to freely speak about simple topics. It takes 6-8 weeks (120-160 hours) to achieve Basic level if you approved the Elementary one.
- B1 (ТРКИ-1 – Первый сертификационный уровень – The first certificate level) – You are able to talk about politics, economics, social problems and other serious topics). It takes 6-8 weeks (120-160 hours) to achieve First Certificate level if you approved the Basic one.
- B2 (ТРКИ-2 – Второй сертификационный уровень – The second certificate level) – You understand the difference between the colloquial and written Russian, can use slang and read newspapers and magazines. It takes 12 weeks (240 hours) to achieve Second Certificate level if you approved the First Certificate one.
- C1 (ТРКИ-3 – Третий сертификационный уровень – The third certificate level) – You can do researches in different branches of science, using the Russian language, use very specific vocabulary.
- C2 (ТРКИ-4 – Четвёртый сертификационный уровень – The fourth certificate level) – You are like a native Russian speaker! Congratulations!
Here is a description of the most popular courses at Enjoy Russian:
|Hours||The Test of Russian as a Foreign Language (TORFL)||
Description of the level
|This 6-week course will bring you to the first (A1) proficiency level of Russian. You will learn how to talk about places, describe rooms, interior, freely bargain, talk about climate and weather, gifts and holidays, cinema, music and theatre, friends, appearance and many other things.|
|120 – 160||
|This course will lead you to A2 level of proficiency, which means you’ll have enough communicative skills to travel in Russia. During the course you will learn to describe cities, to discuss the advantages of different types of transport, professions, and careers. The course will also help you understand Russian traditions, customs and holidays better.|
|120 – 160||
|This course is intended for students who have reached A2 proficiency level and want to improve their Russian. During the course you will learn a lot about Russia, its geographical features, cities and culture. At the end of this course you will receive a B1 level certificate. Having this level is mandatory for those who want to enter a Bachelor degree program at a Russian university.|
Russian Placement Test
When you apply for the Russian language course at the Enjoy Russian Language School, you do an entry grammar and vocabulary free test that helps us to determine your level and place you to the right group. The right group for you is a group of students that are approximately of the same level as yours. And being in this level group means that you’ll study the material that will let you increase your level, but also focus on developing your speaking and listening skills. It often happens that we have students that have a big passive vocabulary amount, they can easily read and understand many words, but can poorly speak because of lack of practice. That’s why in the course we mostly concentrate on creating lots of opportunities for our students to actually use Russian in real communication.
When you arrive, the education coordinator of the school might also want to test your level of oral speaking. Sometimes the written test does not show us the whole picture, because some people don’t know the grammar very well, but speak amazingly great. If such thing happens, we of course let the student go to a higher-level group if he/she wants. We always ask the students if they feel comfortable in their group and propose them to try the other groups if needed.
The textbooks are carefully chosen to meet the requirements of all of the students. We use only communicative textbooks that give lots opportunities for listening and speaking practice. Our teachers also prepare extra material if needed in order to make the lessons more interesting, useful and fun.
The lessons are conducted from Monday to Friday in the morning or after lunch. So, the students have 4 academic hours of the Russian language lesson a day. One class lasts for 45 minutes. If you want to have a more intensive course, you can take additional individual lessons one-to-one with a teacher to focus on your personal issues, and have even more speaking practice.
At the end of the course, you will receive a certificate that says what level course you have had and number of hours you’ve studied at Enjoy Russian Language School.